HF

By Sharad Matade| Feb 10, 2021

Michelin To Build Its First Recycling Plant

As part of its circular economy, Michelin, in collaboration with Enviro, will build its first tyre recycling plant in Chile with an investment of $30 million.

Enviro, a Swedish company, has developed a patented technology to recover carbon black, oil, steel and gas from end-of-life tyres.

 Based in Chile's Antofagasta region, the plant will recycle 30,000 tonnes of earthmover tyres a year, or nearly 60% of such tyres scrapped every year nationwide.

Construction work will start this year, while production is scheduled to begin in 2023. The French company said crap tyres would be collected directly from customer premises, then transported to the plant to be cut up and recycled.

Michelin plans to use 90 percent of the recovered materials in rubber-based products, such as tyres, conveyor belts and anti-vibration products. The remaining 10% will be reused directly by the plant to generate its own-use heat and power.

"Thanks to this joint venture with Enviro, we are very proud to announce the construction of the Michelin Group's first recycling plant. This is a major milestone that will enable us to offer customers a new-generation recycling solution, while developing new business for the Group. We are currently in talks with several Chilean mining customers to sign long-term contracts. By scaling up Enviro's technology, we are offering them a solution that will support their environmental objectives and enables the development of a circular economy," said  Sander Vermeulen, Vice President, Marketing & Business Development, Strategy and New Business for the High-Tech Materials business line.

Enviro's technology, which produces new, high-quality reusable materials like carbon black, pyrolysis oil, gas and steel, will enable everything in an end-of-life tyre to be recovered for reuse.

 

Share This Article


Please login to add a comment

Article Reviews

Subscribe to our Magazines

Get the latest news in the Automotive & Tyre industry.

Subscribe